Monday, March 3, 2014

BDM102 Ultramarathon

March 1-2, 2014
Bataan Death March 102k Ultramarathon

This will be my 3rd Ultramarathon for this year. This race is a tribute to the soldiers who suffer from the death march in 1942. This race will cover around 102k from the municipality of Mariveles, Bataan all the way to San Fernando Pampanga. This will be the 6th edition of the BDM102 which started in 2009. This batch had a total of 300 runners. 

When we arrive at Mariveles, Bataan we do a short stop over at the starting line which is the Bataan Death March Shrine where the kilometer marking of BDM starts. After visiting the starting line we visit Countryboy Tugade in his inn just a kilometer away from the starting line to take a nap.
Eventually when we reach the inn, the inn keeper is insisting us to pay a visiting fee of 100 per head. Thanks to the convincing powers of my friends so we will not going to pay that visiting fee (thinking that you just visit your friend in the inn and you have to pay 100 pesos?)
Around 1800H we left the inn after we took our rest and prepare ourselves to run. We took a souvenir photo before leaving the inn.


 
Team RUNIT (left-right): Tugade, Jade, Renz, Argie, Fer, Greg, Mark, Jazz
 We arrive at the starting line around 2000H and take some dinner at Jollibee. My support crew the Running Photographer team/ Team USB is still on the way to the starting line when we arrive so I have to carry my things until they arrive. My support crew arrive around 2130H. Thank you Sir Rj, Caryll and Rian for the support.

Reach km55: 0540H
The race starts about 2200H and the runners starts running to San Fernando, Pampanga I do my own pace, i don't care if some runners pass by me along the route. I remain in my easy jog-walk pace. In km3, there is a continuous uphill to km7, hence we have a 4km uphill, I have no choice but to walk in the 4km stretch route, I do some jog when the road is flat. I reach the 14km around 2350H and reach the km22 around 0120H. I continue my jog walk until I reach km50 around 0450H (almost 7hours after the gun start) with is the halfway and time to change clothes, eat breakfast and alike. 


 

 After eating some bread and resting my tired feet I continue my race. I reach Orani, Bataan around 0600H which is 6th Municipality from Mariveles and 5 more municipality before San Fernando. Since it is almost morning many of the runners are eating their breakfast, supported by their respective support crew. 





Runners taking their breakfast
Reach km 68: 0800H
 After km 68, it will be a long stretch of National Highway where trucks and bus are passing by, thanks that there is a service road where we can run without any hindrance. Also, at this rate, the sun is shining brightly and we will be much slower at this rate because of the heat. We have to cool our system using some showers and ice treatment. Also, I have no choice but to seek help with other support group along the route. I seek for some cold shower, cold drink and alike. I reach km83 around 1020H, at this point only 3 municipality are left, Lubao, Guagua and San Fernando. Around 1135H i arrive at km88 where I took my lunch, eating pork adobo with egg (yum yum yum). Sir Rj, Caryll and Rian brought me some rice for lunch, thank you for the support. After my lunch, I continue my run toward the finish line, only 14km left before the finish line and I am still doing my jog-walk pace. As I do my jog walk, I pass some runners as well as the km marking telling me that the finish line is near. From km90-91-92 upto km97. After km97, I know that only 5km left until finish line. My feet are tired and I want to finish this run, and to take a rest doing my jog-walk pace until I reach km100. I reach km100 around 1305H and only 2km left until finish line, I am so happy that I am very near the finish line. I reach the finish around 1320H in my clock but the actual time that I get is 15:13:32 finishing with the rank of 80 getting a silver medal from BDM102 (You will get a silver medal if your time is between 13-16hours).

Final Message:
BDM102: Firstly I would like to thank my family for the support, sa pagluto ng mama ko ng baon kong adobo at nilagang saba, sa support crew ko Running Photographers and Team USB (manong Rj, Rian, Caryll, Jayson) salamat sa support at sa pagkain after ng run at pagsabay sa akin pauwi, sa secondary support crew ko Team Run IT (Greg, Rence, Jade, Mark, kuya Argie, Countryboy, Fer) salamat sa pagsabay ninyo sa akin papuntang Mariveles at sa support, sa tertiary supports (support crew ng mga runners: Snail Runners Alabang, kuya Jojo of Ayala Triads, sir Ragde support crew, Blue and company support crew, mam Jackie and suport crew, support of 94&96, road eaters,vertex runners, team running buddies, runner 38 support crew, runner 158 support crew, anyday runners and sa ibang support crew maraming salamat, hindi ko siguro matatapos itong run na ito kung hindi sa tulong ninyo. sa mga kaibigan ko sa paniniwawalang matatapos ko ito, at higit sa lahat, kay God na hindi kami pinabayaan at binigyan kami ng lakas upang matapos itong takbong ito. Thank you po!

No comments:

Post a Comment